Friday, January 25, 2008

There's no business like consumer business (with apologies to Irving Berlin)

It's been a busy few weeks - tax deadlines, learning about W2s, 1099s and TINs. New, but not exciting.

In the midst of this we've just won a new client, which is the first non-tech client that I'll have worked with in, ahem, more than twelve several years.

It made me think about things I've worked on in the past. I started in tech (*sigh* memories of DEC and the VAX/VMS*) but I did step out for a few months/years to go and work in a parallel universe** for a truck manufacturer and a company that made another that made hoity-toity bathroom fittings, before veering back to technology as fast as my keyboard could get me.

And much though I love technology (and have spent this afternoon talking about open standards), I'm kind of looking forward to working for a very American company that isn't the 'leading provider of xxx solutions' and working with a very different beast - the American newspaper journalist.

* Aww, bless its little CISC processing architecture
** Really it was a building that looked like an aircraft hangar. The person I worked for always kept a stash of 'get well soon' cards in his desk drawer, I never found out why...