Thursday, January 31, 2008

Spice up your life.... (even though no-one else wants to)


*Something* possessed me to buy two tickets to see Sporty, Posh, Scary, Baby and Ginger play their first gig in the US of A.

I found myself with two tickets but unable to find someone who wanted to go - until my friend L mentioned how she'd been trying to win tickets on a local radio station (and no, she wasn't the only one dialing in..).

The gals were playing in 'The Gardens' which is a fabulous venue. L and I arranged to meet at 7pm but before I knew it I was running (typically) late. L called me frantic to say she was 'surrounded by 13-year olds drinking gatorade and vodka and all wearing baby pink' and would I 'hurry up and get my ass to meet her' so we could have a few drinks to calm her nerves. Several beers and shots** later we made it into a packed arena where yes, we were surrounded by 13 year olds (at least I had a good view on the basis if the fact I was two foot taller than everyone else), though every time they all screamed (which was for most of the show) it was so high pitched that I thought my ears were going to bleed.

I really clearly remember seeing the Spice Girls for the first time on British TV and being fascinated by them. I wasn't a fan as such - though they were fabulously marketed.

I wanted to see them out of interest as much as anything else, but they were fabulous - no, they can't sing (especially Posh). But they can put on a good show, though by the sounds of it they are cutting the whole thing short (read into it what you will).

Plus they're from Britain and had a stadium of Americans screaming: even if they were all too young to vote / drink / know better.

** This is a VERY bad idea. L and her crowd only ever drink rounds of Bud Lite and Southern Comfort. An awful combination.