Thursday, January 26, 2006

Jingle jangle (Just call me Jimmy Saville)

Hurrah - today we won a new contract at work. This is great for a number of big reasons but also for some small thrills -namely I get to buy a new charm for my bracelet.

Celebrating new contracts like this might seem slightly odd but it's something I've done ever since my parents spent their holiday in Montepellier four years ago trying to figure out what the French for 'charm bracelet' was.

My first charm was a web (for an internet client), followed by a mobile phone (guess what they did) and so on. The bracelet acts as my 'mental checklist' so I can figure out if every one is okay. Though it does mean that I tend not to wear it when I'm away from work as I find myself worrying about a 'charm' that I may not have spoken to recently, so to speak. Saying that it's always in my handbag.

Seeing as I work with tech companies finding a charm to associate with a certain client can be tricky but I have a strange mix that at first may not be associated with the IT world inclouding a penguin, the elephant god (GSE if you ever need to buy one I can point you in the direction), a stegosaurus, an ice cream cone, a gun, a key, the see/speak/hear no evil monkeys (the basis of a client's advertising campaign), a gun and a sea bird. This will be my sixteenth charm. Am about to go and have a look at evercharming and eBay to see what I can find to represent something to do with colour and Japan.

There is a flip side to this and if I see a bizarre charm I want to find a client contract that will match it. Such as the turnip above. Any ideas?