Saturday, January 07, 2006

My weekend: Tango, Argentinians and dinosaurs

It's amazing how long a weekend can feel when you do lots of things.

Friday I took my high-heels / a swishy skirt /inability to walk backwards on said heels and did the tango with an elephant (is it me or is that a line from the um-bongo ad?) Great fun though I need to practice and vamp up enough so I can stay 'after hours' for the tango-fest that is an old-fashioned room decked out with pink lights and fairylights. Must also practice holding rose between teeth.

Saturday was an early start as promised friend a lift to Gatwick (snowing loads there) then a day out computer shopping with Gordon Gekko. A great deal more fun (and sober) than it would have been without him. Spent the evening at a goodbye dinner for R - a friend who has decided that she wants to use her skills for good and work for a charity in Sri Lanka. Am worried for her as it's not the most stable of places to go, but she's a sharp and energetic type. Very fun evening. Something about playing pictionary with loud Argentinians that is very entertaining.

Sunday I met some uni friends and my god daughters at the Natural History Museum. I don't like what they've done to the dinosaur exhibit: as a girl who always dreamt of becoming a drinking buddy with Robert Bakker (my hero when I was working on my dissertation which was about dinosaur physiology and whether or not they were endothermic) and planning a future of hanging around on the Badlands, I think the animatronic T Rex makes visitors forget how amazing the fossils and footprints themselves are: that something roaming around a few hundred million years left those prints. Mindblowing in itself.

Spent Sunday evening wrestling with an IKEA wardrobe. When they say 'self-assembly' they're having a larf, aint they?