Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Because we'd like to think we might be worth it.

Yesterday I took a day off work. And didn't go online All Day. This is not something that happens very often (last time I did it was due to a long flight, I can't recall the time before that). I'm not saying this from a point of martyrdom: I actually like being online and to feel that I *know* what is going on.

But yesterday was different* as I went to St David's spa (followed by a three-hour meal in their swanky restaurant) with my sister: an immensely talented and funny person who is one of the easiest people I can spend time with. Though we don't get to spend much time with each other as she lives in a coastal Welsh village and I live very far away (well, not that far but I did spend more than seven hours of the day on motorways in a very small car) and whenever we do see each other we are surrounded by other family members, which I'm not moaning about (but yet I am).

I'm not really a big fan of spas and alternative therapies: I don't know where my chakra is (and even if I did I would have no intention of having it tuned and aligned); I think reiki is a load of nonsense; I don't think God intended us to wrap ourselves in algae; and I have no intention of being hosed down with cold water in Guantanamo Bay-fashion. I am also very dubious of the new fad of being doused in alcohol and set on fire to lose weight (take up swimming or go to Weight Watchers like the rest of us).

But, I have to admit I am now a fan of massage. Especially if the therapist is a drop-dead muscular and very sexy bloke.

Next treat (post-Christmas, need to save up) is to get stoned. No, not in *that* way - a massage with hot stones.

* Okay, I admit I was told off by one therapist for not only having my mobile phone on me (it was on silent, honest) but also having my charger with me and plugging it into the socket in one of the treatment rooms. Little did they know of my attempts to pick up WiFi in their changing rooms.