Friday, November 25, 2005

Have B&D drill, will..er...drill (and possibly maim)

I really need to fix the blinds that feel down in my flat (since I bought the place it's started to fall apart - why does that happen?) and there's absolutely no reason why I can't fix some of the bloody* things myself: I'm a capable human being, and I'm sure the possession of ovaries can't stop me from recognising one end of a screwdriver to another.

So, I have invested in a Black & Decker CD18CA Cordless Drill (18V). Well worth the forty-something quid - well, I hope it is - it has features such as a keyless metal chuck, the capacity of 35mm in wood (sounds like some blokes I have met), comfortable styling and a variable speed for 'gentle start and full control (hang on, hang on - this is all starting to sound decidedly dodgy) and it has 5 torque settings... erm, I'm sure that's as many as I'll need. For now.

Think of my following post (plan to spend tomorrow morning fixing blinds) as an alternative to LC's Random Male Vanity Product Review *series, though with less wit /effort, fewer comparisons (I'm not going to buy several power drills just to tell folks which is the best) and no re-hydrating micro proteins.

As I become DIY girl I will, naturally, stop buying/looking longingly though shop windows at winter boots, bags and be-jewelled fripperies and instead will know where B&Q is. And own stud cutters, circular saws and belt sanders. It's a whole new *exciting* world - surely?

* I may regret using the word 'bloody' if anything goes wrong while I am teaching myself how to drill things

** I did contemplate calling the series the 'Female Power Tool Product Review', but it may be somewhat misleading.