Monday, November 07, 2005

Home horror video

Met some friends this week who are genetically wallowing in the exitement of their first born child, G. After the compulsory holding of the little 'un and a suitable amount of ooing and ahhing, I was offered a cup of coffee while I watched the video. Video I asked?

Yes indeedy - (and anyone with a quesy stomach can leave at this point) - they took a video in the birthing room. Starting with an ER-esque crowd of green-coated and masked strangers shouting "push"* while all peering, well, up inside my friend. Then capturing her pain as she suffered contractions. Then the finale as the 'bump' went from being part her to hey presto a baby and her stomach returning to normal (okay not to normal but it was like a giant balloon being deflated) and then the father cutting the umbilical cord (amazingly while he was still filming with his other hand). All caught on home video.

As a person who thinks of wedding videos as a bit unneccesary, this really takes the biscuit (rusk?). Urgh, suddenly I'm not hungry anymore.

* At one point one of the nurses changed from shouting "push" to "I don't want to be in your video", which made me laugh out loud.