Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think this is the most tired I have ever felt – I meant to spend last night packing to go to Italy followed by an early night with Doug* but instead I went to see the ‘Chihuhy nights of glass’ at Kew, which was spectacular (she said trying to upload photos).

Then I spend too long drinking tea at a stockbroker’s house and having derivatives and the danger of an overweight US market (typical of the US I said… but it seemed we were talking about something unrelated to ‘Supersize Me’ cultures) explained to me. Tried knawing my own arm off but many of these finance types seem to have some sort of blinkers and can’t sense boredom / desperation. Pat - you are *entirely* to blame, take note.

Then when I got home for some unknown reason I watched TV. Then I realised it was half past twelve, my washing was still sitting in the machine and I hadn’t packed a thing. As I was crawling into bed (wishing it was much, much earlier), I suddenly remembered that I was meant to print off something for the person I am going to see in Italy – so set my alarm for half three to give me time to get to the office, do said printing then get to Heathrow by 4.30am.

So here I am in the departure lounge – feeling sick, uncaffeinated (no coffee shops open… obviously it’s a shocker to Heathrow terminal two that you might want - nay need - coffee at this time of the day) and waiting for my number to be called on the boarding card bingo – “currently boarding seats in row 25 to 26 only”.

(Few hours later) - Made it – following a terrifying drive. Unfortunately I didn’t know the Italian for ‘when are you planning on taking your driving test?’ or ‘please for the love of God, let me get out and walk down the motorway, it’ll be safer.’


* Douglas Coupland. Well not him personally but at least with some of his thoughts.