Monday, December 19, 2005

All work and no blogging...

.....makes Tabby a rather dull rabbit.

Apologies for the absence, I'd love to say that I've been off travelling to far-flung exotic locations but in reality I've been busy at work and then trying to fit things in the evening such as er, drinking (usually work-related). Sorry blog (tries to blow dust off):

Lowlights of the week include:

* Getting my car towed away from outside my flat. At seven o'clock in the morning. And having to pay 190 quid to get it back from the pound at White City. The folks in charge there almost didn't give it back to me as one of my utility bills was more than two months old - although I had every form of ID known to the Western world on me. December is not a good month to be a few hundred quiz down on spare cash (starts collecting milk bottle tops and loo rolls to make Christmas presents);

* The worst date I have ever been on. With a needy bloke who thinks that as management he 'shouldn't mix with employees' (and so missed his company's Christmas party!!) and seemed to have no ambition beyond settling down. Not an evening of small talk, more microscopic. I got the feeling that I was being interviewed for a role as a future housewife and child-bearer. Meanwhile I was sussing out whether he would be up for a flat in New York, a large sailing boat and a bit of global domination. I don't think we'll be seeing each other again;

* Finding out the person I like is going out with someone already - probably a wet dream of a girl who is a corporate lawyer and a part-time extra for Baywatch complete with a flat in Chelsea and one in New York. Hey ho.

* Uncle going into hospital. I'm from a very close (read claustrophobic) family and although he should be fine and hopefully back in our village for Christmas, our 'grouping' instinct is kicking in. An ex once remarked that my family 'stuck together like glue' which is very true. I'm the only one who lives outside Wales (most of my family live in the same village) and happenings such as this make me feel like I am far away;

* Disastrous night out with customer that is too woeful to go into here. Tried to drink vodka and smoke 50,000 fags to blot it out but failed miserably - can still remember the whole evening and next morning I felt like I was going to have a stroke /looked like one of the Grateful Dead. Have bloodied my knees and fingers crossed it should all be okay now. One of the longest and most stressful evenings in living memory (before aforementioned date, that is);

* Long hours and missing the chance to accompany friends to the Chagford hog roast;

But it hasn't been that bad - I've not been sat around wearing black and weeping loudly for the week (in fact it's been quite a good week all in all). Some highlights to balance the week out are:

* A lot of festive cheer - some great nights out with customers; Christmas get-together with K,O, G, A and M on Sunday and going out with old W4 flatmates on Friday night;

* Receiving a hamper and a bottle of champagne from some customers - lovely gestures and very unexpected;

* Going to visit small children (god daughters) for Christmas carols etc - inciting my first festive feelings of 2005;

* My little brother posting me a copy of 'The Breakfast Club' (expect another review of an 80s classic in the near future);

* Sussing out how links etc work on this thing. Yeah, I know *everyone* else knows how they work and I'm hardly going to win a technical prize or anything.

Am hoping that normal blogging service will resume.... (don't quote me, I've got something on tonight and tomorrow night)