Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Boba / bubble tea

Am not sure about this. A drink that comes with jelly-frog spawny-like things at the bottom. And a big straw so you can gag on them. It's an acquired taste (I am told) and you learn to drink and chew at the same time. The lumps are balls of black gummy tapioca - the straws are meant to let you drink them up so it's like 'having a pudding'.

Had the drink (opted for Watermelon- great as long as I could avoid the lumps) at an amazing take-away place that flatmate swears by (we got there after she drove up and down the Charles River several times on a distracted detour) - specialities that caught my eye (though not my appetite) included frog and garlic on rice; spicy sliced pig ears (looked suspiciously like mushrooms) and spicy boneless duck claws.

Strange really that you wouldn't want to eat something like frog or pig ears - after all, we're omnivores (at least I am) and there's very little difference to eating a pig's ear to anything else off it. Perhaps next time - when I go back for some more 'boba tea'.

tags: ,