Monday, April 17, 2006

Hell on Earth


A combination of thousands of people who want to spend their recreational time shopping and an outlet mall the size of Wales (pic above).

For some (unknown) reason I thought this would be a fun day out but it's just a mass consumerism race: swathes of people jostling to buy nasty t-shirts, loads of Disney crap and bright green jumpers / towels from Ralph Lauren (bascially the tat that they couldn't get rid of in the shops). All very upsetting to witness - loads of people buying stuff that they don't even want and which is all heading for the landfill sooner rather than later.

On a positive note, it was fun driving out here and is a lovely sunny day. And there's a gorgeous smiley bloke sharing my table with me who looks as bored as I am (yet he is not armed with a book and a laptop).

I can't drive back though as I have spent half the afternoon drinking wine and reading the book (I spent most of this morning in Starbucks). I feel very alert yet slightly drunk.

I just hope that K, the other assigned driver, hasn't been drinking or we may have to live here, though at least we will never run out of cheap t-shirts, sunglasses or bed linen.

If we do make it out of here alive I swear never to visit another shopping mall outlet again. Ever.