Monday, February 27, 2006

The Stride, bunks barns and fabulous birthday celebrations


Spent the weekend staying in a 'bunk barn' in North Yorkshire.

It was for a fabulous friend's fabulous birthday (J's - she organised the whole thing with military precision for dozens of people) and it was amazing, so much fun. Wasn't sure what to expect of a 'bunk barn' but it was just as it said: a barn, overlooking the moors, with several rooms coming off it, with 4-8 bunk beds in each. It was like being on a school trip, but without the need to sneak alcohol in.

Next door was a ramshack castle, then just across the courtyard (easy staggering distance) a great restaurant. Just down the slope: Stride Wood (site of Special Scientific Interest)* and the Stride (a narrow rockey channel where the River Wharfe is forced into a channel and tourists are tempted to jump across - only to fall in and drown**).

Was lovely to see one of my oldest friends, S (J's other half) looking the best he ever has - he's in training for the London Marathon. I spent the weekend wanting to slap his arse (I didn't, though as an old friend and ex-flatmate I have *every* right). S & J both talked to me about changing my lifestyle, it's sweet when friends worry about you (though there is no need).

We spent the weekend eating, walking (yes, I did have my latop on me...), drinking (repeat in different order). Went to the lovely restautant, drank more, I would have played drunken charades but I was too shattered.

The name of the game while staying in a bunk barn is to drink enough to ensure you fall into a deep enough sleep to not be disturbed by an Andy-Bell looklike that snores like a aeroplane - (I failed miserably at this)...

* Largest remnant of acidic woodland in Yorkshire. I once used to know what this meant, but all that knowledge / taxpayers' money has long gone.
** We didn't try that. We're older and more sensible now.