Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Bad Karma?



I’ve always thought that I’m a very lucky person – not just in relation to family, friends, where I live /work etc but the more ‘spontaneous’ element of luck too.

This seems to have changed over the last week. Some examples of this Run Of Bad Luck Which Surely Must Stop Soon.

0. (can't be bothered ot re-number list). Laptop dying.

1. Getting flat tyre while in Barcelona

2. Whilst tyre is being changed, some local coming up to me on a moped to offer ‘help’. The awful and sudden realisation that the dark-haired guy on the other side of the road and up the hill is carrying my handbag, coat, laptop, phone etc etc (luckily he was chased and dropped most of the stuff). I have been scammed.

3. Being stuck in Barcelona without credit card and mobile phone. Losing all numbers on mobile phone and some number of pics on digital camera (neither recovered)

4. Spending six and half hours at Girona airport

5. Picking up two employees from airport and getting hideously lost on the the ‘Ronda Litoral’ on way to hotel.

6. Getting to hotel to find we don't have reservations. Barcelona is hosting huge teleco show (3GSM, reason for our visit) 50,000+ visitors. All hotels fully booked. Travel agent laughed when I rang them.

7. Some luck - found one hotel room for one night. But we have to share one room (I didn't mind, but felt awful). Slept on floor next to very noisy fridge that couldn't be unplugged.

8. Someone from work was bringing my suit trousers with them so I would have them for the Monday morning (no time to get from dry cleaner before leaving). Instead of size 16 black suit trousers she brought someone else's brown herringbone – in a size 8. I get these the night before I have to go to meet customer. All I have is jeans, jogging trousers or ski stuff.

9. Not knowing the Spanish for 'very funny - I need a much larger size than that' when buying suit at 10am on the Monday morning (when shops opened). After eight minutes of browsing I end up sporting an orange tweed suit.

10. Losing around 500 Euros in cash between Stansted airport and the office yesterday afternoon

11. Getting hand burnt my door-clutching smoker on way to pub with Gordon Gekko last night

12. Being told by GG that I (this coming from someone who used to trade for a living) am a corporate whore and I should give up what I do and go and do something constructive and charitable. Seems constructive and charitable is his type. For some inexplicable reason all of this upsets me.

13. Wake up to find I have burst a blood vessel in my eye. And very bad hangover.

14. Dropping front door key on floor this morning and leaning over to pick up without realising that bag is open. Remember this as everything hurtles over my head/shoulder to floor.

15. I am now sitting, locked out of my office in the corridor. Settled on floor with laptop and coffee. Every 4 minutes the lights go off and I have to throw my handbag into the air to get them to switch back on.

I must have done something to upset the gods . I just don't know what.