Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lip-to-lip contact: A game of numbers


Last night, in my bid to Stay In And Not Drink, I had my evening carefully planned out: healthy/ steamed food (bought from the local Thai supermarket), some work to catch up on, an episode of Seinfeld then an early night complete with a good book and some fancy hot chocolate that someone bought me as a gift.

There must be CCTV installed in my flat. The *second* I was about to sit down, my phone went and I was summoned to the pub by Gordon Gekko. Being a girl who is incapable of saying "No, I'm going to stay in tonight", minutes* later I found myself in a smoky pub clutching a large glass of wine and sat between a large group of Chelsea supporters and some surprisingly non-Spanish looking Barcelona supporters (pasty-coloured lager-fuelled Chelsea haters who collectively roared with delight at Chelsea's own goal).

The evening covered the usual range of subjects: starting off with recap of work etc, the usual gossip somehow leading to the outcome of US/Iran relations and how it was all going to kick-off, miserable crimes vs 'happy crimes', rollercoasters and logflumes, and ending with a quiz of how many people we had each got involved with.

As part of this new subject GG asked me how many people I had kissed. I honestly couldn't answer - not because it's that many (really: I haven't had that many jobs and my CV has become something more fictional than Narnia due to my inability to piece my past life together).

It turns out though that my guestimate (25? 30? I was being harrassed and had to come up with a number, though I still don't know, somewhere in this region sounds about right) is a piss-poor effort compared to the several hundred that GG seems to have had lip-to-lip contact with. Yet not picked up anything nasty (or so he says).

Though, if you think of any sort of snogging as an introductory offer to anything else than his 'conversion rate' is lower than mine.

Do people have *any* idea of how many people they have snogged? Could you guess within a 5% error margin?

* Less than ten minutes. In this time I rang my parents, ate my tea, changed top and re-applied slap, checked everything was switched off several times (have thing about flat burning down), and got to pub. When I shared a house with three blokes I was always the one ready first.