Monday, November 26, 2007

Things America does really well: #1: Sports bars

I have a two lists I keep adding things to: (1) things that America does very well and (2) things that, er, aren't so good (or don't even seem to exist, such as lane discipline on the freeways).

After an evening in the Stadium Sports bar in South Boston watching the New England Patriots ('the Pats' - which seem to be hated with a passion by everyone outside New England) play the Philadelphia Eagles, I have to admit that when it comes to showing sports in a place that serves alcohol, the Americans have it sussed. Great range of beer, a gazillion TV sets, decent food, lots of bar room. KD was my 'football' guide - (apparently I have to stop thinking it's like rugby) and I'm starting to understand bits of the game but find it really slow as the ball seems out of play most of the time.

Yes, the Pats (undefeated at this point in the season) won. Though this was a close call and everyone (outside New England) is excited that the Pats don't look as unbeatable as they once did.