Saturday, November 17, 2007

Maimed by martinis

I've never physically hurt someone or caused them to pass out. Until today that is, when avoiding shopping hoardes (pre-Thanksgiving rush to buy Martha Stewart-inspired turkey-illustrated napkins, tableclothes and centre pieces?) in Brownstones near to Back Bay station. Drinking companion was B, a local boy whose g/f had got caught up in the Martha-loving stampede.

I turned up early, around 3pm. B, who had been on errands with g/f, got there at least an hour late (all fine: he let me know and I had a book, and a bored/creative bar maid who wanted to make different martinis for me to try).

Chatted, all fine and fun. Until 8pm -when I returned from the loo to find that B had passed out cold on the bar (after he'd had THREE martinis).

Alarmed, I went to make a call only to come back and find an empty bar stool. He had vanished - leaving behind his wallet, inhaler, keys, coat, phone. 20 minutes later the bouncer and I called off the search and I called his g/f who as much admitted this was a regular thing and he'd get home and pick his stuff up in the morning.

I know martinis are strong, but three? In an area where everyone has some level of Irish blood flowing through their circulatory system????